Friday, November 18, 2011

In Praise of Wildness

In my struggle to release the grip my mind has had lately on wanting to figure Everything out, to over-intellectualize, as it were, I've been turning inward, creating space and quietude. For myself.

Then, this morning, in yoga, my teacher shared this passage that brought Everything into perspective. Into my cells, actually...

Here's what she read:

"Wildness is the state of complete awareness. That's why we need it."
~Gary Snyder, Turtle Island
The more still we become
the more wildness arises within.

Does a lion feel the pleasure
of its power gathering
like river water at a dam,
its strength building as it sleeps,
dreaming of the chase?

Can a snake never be straight,
but merely uncoiled,
waiting to spring to movement?

Is a hurricane a wilderness of air?
A cyclone a suspended door
to a turbulent sky?

Does the heart grow larger
in the glassed-in chest
when we forgive?

That's the wildness.
Can you let it
embolden you,
made form, made flesh?

From this wildness,
can every cell in your body
find gratitude,
make praise?

~Leza Lowitz, an excerpt from Yoga Heart

...and so, I invite you to sit quietly and breathe into that wildness. May it bring you a felt sense of knowing, a keen awareness beyond words.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment